Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Prom

I never went to any of my high school dances, homecomings or proms.  Never.  Not one.  And just in case you are wondering - I wasn't even asked. In fact, I never even dated until after I got out of high school.  

This topic never bothered me.  Honestly, I never really gave it much thought until I found myself talking with two of my girlfriends.  We got on the subject of high school dances and I said that I never went to a single dance.  They found this interesting and one felt sorry for me.  I think of it now, the same as I've always thought of it, as a non-issue.  

I just wasn't that kind of kid. I had friends in high school, but I'm not a social person.  I do much better when I am in a small group of people, or better yet, one-on-one.  I KILL it one-on-one. Dances, large groups of people, it didn't appeal to me then and it doesn't appeal to me now either.  

I didn't go to a single High School dance and I am totally fine with that.  I have never once felt that I missed out on something.  In fact, I can guarantee that if I did go, I would have regretted that more. 

Sometimes people feel sorry for me.  They feel bad that I missed out on this experience.  I think they feel worse about it than I do. I didn't feel bad about it back then, and I don't feel bad about it now.   

I did an online search with the subject "So you didn't go to prom"....and thousands of topics came up.  As I scrolled down I saw one line that had a list of celebrities' that didn't go to their prom. And of course, they are all famous people with fabulous lives now.  I guess we are supposed to feel justified that we aren't that bad because famous person A didn't go to their prom either.  Or that you can still go on to live a great life like famous person B even if you didn't go to your prom.  All it did, for me, was reinforce that there is absolutely too much pressure to participate in this event. Too much importance on something that should be your own decision. 

Did you go to your prom?  Awesome!  You didn't go to your prom - that's awesome too!  However, you live (lived) your life, it's your choice.  And just think, I don't have to worry about horribly embarrassing photos of me in a pink, tulle fluffy thing showing up on social media. 😊




 

17 comments:

  1. Ha, high 5 girlfriend. We didn't have dances, but I too chose not to attend either prom, I did not want to get all gussied up and would rather stay in my Levi's there where a group of our friends that went and a group that didn't. Pretty cool, thought so then, still do now. Lisa D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Thanks for reading and sharing Lisa ❤️ ☺️

      Delete
  2. I didn’t go to prom or dances either. I am good with small groups too. I dislike large crowds and am pretty happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacky, you are fabulous! Thank you for reading and sharing! ❤️

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed reading this, Janet you and I are so much alike I didn't go to my high-school because I was fifteen when I graduated and they said I was too young to be with the eighteen and up group. ☺

      Delete
    3. So nice to hear from you Jennifer! I so appreciate you reading and your encouragement!

      Delete
  3. No proms for me either. I did go to dances in 8th grade but always felt awkward waiting for some boy to come ask me to dance. I think I danced by myself, as I still do now, as music usually puts ants in my pants and I gotta move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ I love this! Thank you for sharing Cynthia!

      Delete
  4. see, you take after me !!!! Never went to any proms either....and guess what...I survived !!!! Now a days (before Covid ) they had become big broadway productions. Everything is big productions now...hate it. So all in all I never felt like I missed anything. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another winner post.....I did but never felt any more special....hell, our wedding was on our back deck in Colorado with close friends and vows we wrote....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TJ! You have the right idea and you live your life exactly as you want! Admirable! Always appreciate your encouragement, reading and support! 🙏☺️

      Delete
  6. I was never asked to a high school dance. I was very shy and didn't date. I would have liked to have gone to my senior prom, but I survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add that I raised two strong, independent women who both asked boys to their senior proms! My oldest daughter actually picked up the "couples" ticket to her 8th grade dance for her and her boyfriend (it was a discount if you had a date, how horrible is that). They broke up that afternoon and she went anyway and grabbed a date on her way in the door who wanted the discount. LOL.

      Delete
    2. Welcome Miss Merry! Thank you for reading and for sharing! I look forward to following your blog too! 🙏☺️

      Delete
  7. Although I did go to the proms, they never lived up to the hype. Now dancing? That's different. I love to dance - the Shag, Texas two-step or just jumping around my living room. Dancing is good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete