Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Joy and Happiness at Aldi

I came across this story yesterday in my "Good Things" notebook.  I also shared it when I was on Facebook and I thought I would share with you in my blog.  It's from many years ago but I still remember that morning and just rereading the words bring me joy and happiness!  I hope it brings you a smile too! 

"I stopped into Aldi's yesterday morning to get some fruit.  It was supposed to be a quick in and out trip, but what a blessing it turned out to be!

As I was waiting in line, I hear a man shouting out greetings to the staff. Apparently he is well known here at this Aldi's because everyone was shouting greetings back to him.  I soon saw the source - it was an elderly Mexican man and he practically dances up to stand behind me in line.  I smile at him and I say "Good morning!".  I then ask him "Do you wake up like this?!"  He tipped his baseball cap and said "Yes young lady I do and I will tell you why".  

He then proceeded to tell me that every morning, when he wakes up, he thanks God for blessing him with another day and then he kisses his wife.  He then thanks God for blessing him with his wife. I ask him how long he has been married and he answered "Sixty-five years". 

He told me that everyday he plays two hours of tennis and then plays 8 holes of golf.  He then runs the errands his wife gives him before he returns home. I told him how awesome this was and I gave him a way up high high five. 

He continued:  "Do you know why I am doing all this?". He said "Next month I am going to be 89 years old and I want to party and dance all night long!".  And then right there he proceeded to swivel his hips and shuffle a dance.  I KNOW!  Adorable!

Well, I just had to give him a big, huge hug*.  He smiled and told me that I made his day.  Image that!  And here I was thinking tha
t he made mine!"

* Before COVID when you could hug people 

8 comments:

  1. What a cute story/memory!! It made me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippie! ☺️. Thank you for reading Gretchen! ❤️

      Delete
  2. love it....such a cute memory....maybe I'll start doing that. Not the tennis and golf, but the dancing !!! Love ya, Mom....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious story. He definitely showed the "JOY of the Lord" in his life!!

    ReplyDelete