Wednesday, January 27, 2021

"Dear Life"

I just finished reading "Dear Life: A Doctor's Story of Love & Loss" by Rachel Clarke.  Actually this is the second time I have read it in 8 months. The first time I read it was because empathy, compassion and end of life is a topic I am drawn to. The second time I read it was because empathy, compassion and end of life was something I was experiencing in my own life. 

Dr. Clarke is a Doctor specializing in Palliative Medicine.  She chose this area to specialize in after serving for many years in the hospital system.  She witnessed a need, a need that she could fill. It was also in this area that she found her calling and life's mission. 

I would like to share a few quotes from her book.  The first is her answer to the question about how she could do this (care for the terminally ill) every single day. So many people said to her 'don't you find it depressing?'  Her response; "....nothing could be further from the truth.  All that is good in human nature - courage, compassion, our capacity to love - is here in it's most distilled form.  So often, so reliably, I witness people rising to their best, upon facing the worst.  I am surrounded by human beings at their finest."

And this: "What dominates Palliative medicine is not the proximity to death, but the best bits of living.  Kindness, courage, love, tenderness - these are the qualities that so often saturate a person's last days"

These quotes, her experiences, her wisdom and compassion is exactly why I read this book. Twice.  Dr. Clarke is honest and straightforward about the failings of our medical field. "We make paradoxical demands on our doctors.  We want them human, empathetic and caring, but only up to a point.  We also want the detachment that enables them to swoop to a crisis and crack on undeterred all instincts to recoil suppressed."

And this; "If in striving for longer and better living, doctors end up merely prolonging your painful demise, then medicine has surely lost its way."

End of life. This is not an easy topic to think about and acknowledge.  And it's not a talk we want to have with those we love, but it is so important.  So many times Doctors will steer terminally ill patients to choose "life saving" measures which unfortunately, in the end, greatly diminish their quality of life.  If you have these conversations beforehand, and your wishes are known, then you choose life, and death, on your own terms. 

The question Dr. Clarke asks, the question that we should all ask ourselves and those we love is this:  "What are your tradeoff's? What are you willing to do to ensure that your life, your remaining life, is comfortable and peaceful". 

The answer will be yours and it will be different for every single person.  But it's your life.  In this situation, you have every right to decide, on your terms, how to end this life and begin your new one. πŸ’—





14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. πŸ™ Dr. Clarke wrote another book called "Your Life in my Hands" which I am reading now. Hard and difficult scenario's to read about, but so, as you accurately said, powerful. πŸ™ Thank you for reading my friend. I appreciate you ❤️

      Delete
  2. Not sure I am up to reading the book, but I am noting the title. I cared for my mother who had ALS and then my father who suffered a severe stroke. I have put a lot of thought into this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. It's not a particularly easy book to read, she also deals with the death of her own father from cancer, but she is most compassionate and kind and gentle. πŸ™. Thank you for reading and sharing. I am sorry for your losses. ❤️

      Delete
    2. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Unfortunately I am not smart enough to figure out how to add a subscribe button to my blog. I started it many years ago and have not kept up with the how and whys.

      Delete
    3. ☺️ thank you for responding! If I can figure it out.... I'll share with you!

      Delete
  3. In my other life as an RN and the Director of Hospice, I can relate to the sentiments of Dr. Clarke. I found that the struggle of acceptance, was often, not with the dying patient but with family members not ready to say goodbye. These conversations are important to have before faced with the crisis. It is the unknown that creates fear and uncertainty. Honest conversations and planning will and does make this journey for all an easier more quiet journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sheila for this. ❤️. Your kind heart and gentle strength and energy are so fitted for the role you had in your other life. πŸ™ Thank you for reading and sharing. 😊

      Delete
  4. I will have to put this on my reading list., thanks for sharing 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margo! Thanks for reading. I'm going to send my copy up to Mom to read, I think she would like it coming from a nursing background.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Judith appreciate it πŸ™☺️

      Delete