Sunday, June 13, 2021

"Thankful"

In the 1980 movie "The Blue's Brothers", Jake takes Elwood to his apartment.  As they stand outside the apartment, the pictures on the walls start rattling and you see, and hear, a train passing by outside the window.  Once inside Jake says "Well, it ain't much, but it's home". 

Elwood asks "How often does the train go by?" and Jakes replies "So often you won't even notice it".

"So often that you won't even notice it" is great when you have a speeding train that repeatedly passes outside your window. However, it is not so good for other things.  

Our brains are amazing aren't they?  We can tune out repetitive and invasive sounds and events so they don't overwhelm us. But there's a down side to this. Our same brain has the ability to do that for everything.  

Things that we do every day; taking a shower, drinking your first cup of coffee, driving to work, preparing dinner, etc... can easily become those events that happen so often we don't even notice them.  

I aspire to live a grateful and observant life but I know that I can often fall into the "not noticing" mindset.  When I find myself doing this, I stop and make a conscious effort to notice and appreciate everything.  I take a moment to be thankful for all the little details that make up my life.  And what's really amazing is that when I do this, I always find more to be thankful for. 

Blues Brothers Train Scene - Bing video 

6 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmm sometimes it is essential to "not notice" i.e. a woman at work talks so loud and some of the things she says to patients can make one cringe, so yes is is BEST not to notice :-) But I certainly DO understand your point and will try to notice and appreciate "most" of my daily God given opportunities. LOVE & PEACE Lisa D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Lisa! Those co-workers right! 😊🙏❤️

      Delete
  2. Yes that is so because life happens and we get caught up just going through the motions. We just need to take a moment and breathe and just tell God thank you. Sometimes it's those moments that teach us and being us back to the perspective of being grateful, thankful, and blessed. Thank you, Tibb

    ReplyDelete
  3. ❤️ grateful, thankful and blessed! What a wonderful way to live. 😊. Always appreciate you reading and sharing! 😊❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning!!! I love this!! I just heard a preacher say the other day that when we wake up with a thankful heart everyday that each day we will find more to be thankful for!!!He also said the more time we spend thanking God for our blessings the less time we will have to keep our minds on the negative!! I am trying to do better with praising instead of complaining!!!thank you for reminding me today!!!!Love you!!! Have a blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee! I absolutely find this to be true too! I think you are one of the most grateful and thankful people I know. I admire this in you! Thank you for reading and sharing. Always appreciate you. 🙏❤️😊

      Delete