Thursday, April 8, 2021

My Friend


This is one of my favorite pictures of Emil and Missy. I believe that this picture shows exactly what Emil felt for me.  I can see it in his face - the love and the care that he gave me.  April 11th is the first birthday without Emil and I wanted to take a minute to write and share him, again, with you.  

Last year at this time, we were one month in the COVID lock down and I couldn't visit with him. He was in the category for high risk and I wouldn't take the chance of passing along the virus to him. For his birthday, I ordered sidewalk chalk and I asked my friend Mike, who is a manager at a grocery store, if he could get me a cake for Emil's birthday. It had to be chocolate with lots of frosting because Emil had a tremendous sweet tooth! 

That morning, before the sun came up, I got to work writing Emil's birthday "card" on the street in front of his house.  Even though we couldn't safely visit with him, he still went out most mornings and had coffee on the front porch.  I wanted him to see it as soon as he went outside. 


When he saw this, he couldn't get over it!  He called me and kept saying "Well, I'll be."  "You did that for me?".  Yup.  Emil, I did this for you. 

Emil was such a good friend and I miss him dearly. We used to talk every day - just to check in with each other. He was a fine man and he exemplified every good trait that you would expect and want in a friend.  Emil was kind, thoughtful and extremely loyal. He treated everyone, every single person he met, with respect. He appreciated and recognized the little things that people did for him and he told them and showed them. It didn't matter who they were, or what they did, he appreciated and acknowledged kindness. Even after his death, I learned of the incredible selfishness of my friend. I know how much his friendship meant to me and the fact that he felt the same for me, is something that I will always treasure. 

While Emil was teaching Missy new tricks, whether he knew it or not, he was also teaching me as well. I will forever be grateful for his kindness and love and for all that he taught me. I still reinforce the tricks that Emil worked so hard and diligently teaching Missy. Whenever she has a good lesson, she gets an extra treat and loving. I tell her that Emil would be so proud of her. 

Happy Birthday dear Emil. 💓💓💓







 

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful friendship to treasure ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Jacky. Always appreciate you reading. ❤️

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Emil....it was my privilege to meet you. I have a constant memory of you in my kitchen, a stain glass sunflower plug-in that is on all the time....You were a good friend to my Janet and Missy...thank you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ thank you Mom. I'm glad you got to meet him.

      Delete
  4. You were obviously a special friend for Emil....you and Missy, too. Beautiful memories.❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. Always appreciate you reading and sharing. ❤️😊

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a beautiful soul❤ Lisa D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ Lisa, he truly was. Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  6. Awe. You were both special to him. Such beautiful memories frim a beautiful person. May God send a special blessing your way today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ thank you. Appreciate you reading 😊

      Delete
  7. what special friends you and Missy were to Emil!!! Happy Heavenly Birthday Emil!!!!What a wonderful kind man you have described!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ he was. I thank you for reading Renee! Always appreciate you. 😊

      Delete
  8. What special memories you and Missy share about Emil. I loved reading your stories.... I would give you a huge hug and treats for Missy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ thank you Debbie! Sure do appreciate you reading and writing. 😊

      Delete