Tuesday, February 16, 2021

An Interview with Janet Alden

Hello everyone!  Today I'm here in Inman talking with Janet Alden.  Janet is going to answer some questions and share with you some wisdom, some whimsy and her Missy. 

So let's get to it...

Janet Alden: Wait. You are interviewing me? But you, you are me. How is that going to work?

Interviewer: It will be fine. Geessh. Stop worrying. So, can I start the interview now?

JA:  Yes. But this is weird.

Interviewer:  So anyway. Thank you Janet for having me in your home. It's a lovely home. Is it true that this is the longest you and Bill have ever lived in a home?

JA:  Yes. That is true. It will be 6 years in April. This is our 7th home, and I hope it is our last. 

Interviewer: So, did you know that Bill was part gypsy when you married him? 

JA: (Laughs) No, I had no idea! But I told him that this is it - I'm not moving anymore. I mean, seriously? Have you seen my studio? I can't pack up that room (laughs).

Interviewer (laughing): You said it sister! You do have a lot of stuff!  So, speaking of your studio. That's really a great place you have there. You have so many interests, tell us, what is your favorite thing to do?

JA: Well, that's a good question, um, Janet. I don't really have a favorite, favorite thing. I like to do a lot of different things like sewing, jewelry making, photography, writing and of course card making. It's really hard to pick just one. They all are important parts of me and they all provide me with great joy. 

Interviewer: The cards are something that you have been really focusing on this past year isn't it?

JA: It is. I have been making cards for the past 10 years, but it is only recently that I have begun donating them. In the past few years I have donated over 10,000 cards to various non-profit organizations. I've always enjoyed making and giving cards, but this, this has become my mission, and it is what I spend the most time on. 

Interviewer: You told me that you probably have every card that was ever given to you. Is that true? 

JA: It is (starts to get up) I can show you.

Interviewer: No, it's okay. I believe you. Maybe later. So cards are very important to you is that correct?

JA:  It is! I love sending them and I love getting them too!

Interviewer: So, next question. How are you coping with COVID?  

JA: This has been very trying time. So many people struggle every day with the social isolation. Solitude can be so hard on some people, and I recognize that. But for me personally, it hasn't been too different. I actually spend most of my days alone in the studio as it is, so really, it wasn't that much of a change for me. When I do go out, I wear a mask and try to be cognizant of other people and their space. I also try to be more engaging with people when I see them. I think that it's so easy to retreat further into ourselves with the masks and restrictions. So I make a conscious effort to not allow that to happen to me. 

Interviewer: You actually told me that you prefer to not have to go out at all.  Is that true?

JA: (laughs) It is. Like, I said, I know that this is not the same for all people, but I find great solace in my solitude. I still seek out the new, and nurture the old connections but I am not one to be social anyway. So it's all good. Hey, did you know that I didn't go to a single prom during high school?

Interviewer: Yes, I read that somewhere. It has been hard for so many people, but it's great that you are creating and donating your cards to help bridge that distance and loneliness for people.  

JA:  Thank you. 

Bill Alden walks into the room

JA:  Hi sweetie!

Interviewer: Hi Bill! Can we ask you a few questions?

BA:  We? Janet, who are you talking to? 

JA and Interviewer respond:  Janet

BA: This is weird. I'm going to take a shower.

Interviewer: He's a great guy that Mr. Alden. 

JA (smiling): That he is.

Interviewer: If I may, I have to ask you, this past year, 2020, besides the obvious COVID, it was a tough year for you wasn't it? 

JA: (Nodding) It was.

Interviewer: You had a lot of personal issues in the second half of the year. How are you doing now? 

JA:  I'm doing good, thank you for asking. It was a tough year for many reasons. I had the return of a bacterial infection in my lungs that was very tiring. There were also some external things that were going on that were also very draining. Unfortunately, I learned that some people are mean, just to be mean. From that, I also learned that I had to be more careful and think before I respond to hurtful comments. 

But I also experienced great support by people as well. There are some really awesome and caring people out there and we can't forget that. It's hard to see them sometimes because they are not always the loudest, but they are there. It was definitely a learning year and I am grateful for the experience. 

Interviewer: (nodding) True. You do have a strong support system and it's great to see people taking care of each other, not only physically, but emotionally too. 

JA: It is. I am very blessed with great people in my life and I focus on them. One of the main things I realized during this time was how strong I am. I stood up for myself instead of backing down. And while that was very hard for me, it was also very necessary. I am proud of myself and this alone gave me great strength in so many ways. 

Interviewer: Good for you!  Sadly, you lost your good friend Emil in November.

JA:  I did. Emil passed away on November 29th. These past two and a half years with Emil as my friend has been rewarding in so many ways. Emil was truly one of my best friends and I miss him terribly. I have this deep desire and need to nurture and care for people, and I lost some of that when I lost Emil.  

Interviewer:  And he trained Missy some tricks!

JA:  He did! He was so good with Missy, so patient. He adored her and she adored him.  

The last morning before Emil left for the VA Hospital, we went to his house to say "good-bye". He gave Missy a final lesson and she NAILED it! I was so proud of Missy. And of Emil. He was such a good friend to me. Such a good friend to many people. I truly was blessed to have him in my life. 

Interviewer: You also lost your brother-in-law Gary in the beginning of January. I'm sorry, I know that was very tough for you and your family.  

JA: Thank you. It was. It was a terrible loss. Gary meant so much to us and to everyone who knew him. Gary and Carol moved to SC (not far from us) about 7 months after we did and we had gotten very close to them both in the past 10 years. We spent a lot of time together, and his sudden passing, it affected us all deeply.  

Interviewer: He was a good man and I know he will be missed. Shifting gears a little bit here. What are you working on now?

JA: Thank you. And another great question Janet! This past week, I've started working on cards for the ALS Association North Carolina Chapter. I am writing a blog about this which will come out soon, but the ALS organization is very important to me and to my mom, so I'm really excited to be involved with this organization. 

Interviewer: That's great! You also have something else you are working on...can you share that with us?

JA:  Thanks! I can tell you a little bit about it. Basically, I've had this idea for about 3 years and never did anything with it. In the beginning of the year I started working with an artist here in Inman and she provided me with some sketches based on my ideas. In addition, I connected with an art student at Converse and she has been drawing additional sketches for me. There are three concepts I came up with and I am waiting for the last sketch. After that, I will write up my proposal, send it to my attorney and then submit it to the company. I'm extremely excited about this, but I have to be patient and take it slow and do it right. I'll share more when I can.  

Missy walks into the room and rolls over on her back. Both Interviewer and Janet laugh.

Interviewer (still laughing):  So it's true!  She really is addicted to belly rubs!

JA: She is! She is a piece of work this one (bending over to rub her belly). She is always so happy and so eager to meet new people. It really is a joyful event every time we go out in the neighborhood for a walk!

Interviewer: It can imagine! Janet, you started this blog up after a five year break. Why did you stop, and why did you start it up again?

JA:  Another great question! (high fives interviewer) When we first moved here I was involved with buying and selling treasures. I had a few rental spots and spent a lot of time, and unfortunately money, keeping them stocked.  

I loved hunting for treasures, and the interaction with people while doing it, but ultimately I found it was not the business for me. It is way more competitive than you can imagine and I didn't like some aspects of the business that I saw. But more importantly, I didn't like how it was affecting my behavior and thinking. It was a great experience, and I am glad I did it, but it's not something I want to do again.  

So, that was a long answer to your question. Basically, I stopped writing because I was involved in other things. 

Interviewer: So you started up again in August of 2020. How did that come about?

JA: I thank Bill for that. He told me one day that I should start writing again. He said "You are good at it and you enjoy it so you should do it". I was involved with a lot of negative experiences and it was important to him that I again focus on positive and fulfilling activities. So, on August 17th, I reposted a story about something that happened to me years earlier. It's one of my favorite connections with a family and I thought it would be good to relaunch with that.  

Interviewer: It's great to see you writing again!

JA:  Thank you! It has been extremely rewarding for me. The act of writing is in itself a solitary experience, but the sharing it, that is where the connections and the joy comes. I always appreciate and am extremely grateful that with all the things that pull at people on a daily basis, they take the time to connect with me. That is a HUGE honor and that is why I do what I do. 

Interviewer: So, we have a request from Billy R.

JA: (laughing....) Billy! I love Billy! I've known him for 25 years!  We worked together at ESPN Radio. We lost contact for a few years, but we recently reconnected and had a 2 hour phone call.  We had a lot to catch up on!  Billy has always been such a huge supporter, not only for me, but for so many. He truly has the ability to see the best in people and he helps them see it too. He is just so quick minded and smart and loyal.  I adore him.  So what's his request?

Interviewer: He wondered if you can tell people how they can leave their name when they comment on your blog.  

JA: Billy, that's a great question! But this is a hard question to answer because people read the blog on different platforms. I think the best way to get around this is to ask people to include their name in their comment. I get so many encouraging and positive comments on my blog, and without the name, it's hard to know who to thank! 

Missy comes back into the room and rolls on her back for a belly rub

Interviewer and Janet laugh as Missy gets her belly rubbed. Again. 

Interviewer: So, Janet we are coming to the end of the interview. Is there anything you would like to leave us with?

JA: First of all, Janet you did a fabulous job and asked some really great questions! I guess I would just like to thank everyone for their support. I truly am blessed and grateful for all I have been given. I am trying to pay my blessings forward and give in ways I can. Thank you all for reading my blog and for the encouragement - it really does mean the world to me. And Janet, thank you for doing this interview. 

Interviewer:  You bettcha! 




14 comments:

  1. Wow, I thought you were being interviewed by Barbra Walters...good job.! Looking forward to some of your up coming blogs. So proud of your talents to be able to put into words your thoughts and feelings. Love you forever, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you and love reading your blogs😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this interview! The person asking the questions knew just what to ask. She obviously did her homework. Good job! 😊❤ ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! Of course I screened the questions beforehand! Ha! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  4. That was awesome!!! I love your writing. I still have the Reader’s Digest that you were published in. Steve wanted to throw it out and I said NO! Our friend Janet is in there. You always make my day when I see you have posted to your blog. Love you my friend. - Jacky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.. thank you Jacky! I appreciate you! Thanks for always being in my corner and being such a great friend! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Wait, should I be flattered that you mentioned me in the post or embarrassed because you exposed me as a technical dufus who can't figure out how to create an electronic name tag?? Next time I think I'll just crawl in and roll on my back for a belly rub...or remain anonymous. Love you, Jan, and both sides of your wonderfully quirky personality. Great interview and intra-view, btw. Say hi to the other "Bill"...and Missy!! PS. I thought I figured out the comment profile thingy. Alas...
    Love, "Unknown" (Billy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Billy! Thank you for reading and for being so awesome!

      Delete
  6. You did it again,laugh, cry, think, count my blessings... And I think so much more, from your blogs, about paying it forward and how awesome that feels. HIGH 5 LISA D MUAH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High Five Lisa! Thank you for reading and for your kind words! Always appreciate you!

      Delete
  7. I want to know if you switched seats as the interviewer and interviewee...must have been quite the sight! Tell "Billy" hello...i think I might know him too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete