Saturday, November 28, 2020

"Delivering Happiness...."


About two months ago I saw a story on the news about a woman who was unable to see her 'Memaw' because of COVID-19. I thought the story was sad and touching.  And then she said that she sends her Memaw a card every day to keep in touch. And I said "That's sad, but I do believe I can help her"  While the story wasn't about her needing cards, I just had to send her cards to use.

I contacted the reporter, Melanie Palmer, to see if she could put me in contact with the woman and I explained why.  Melanie gave me her email address and because as I soon learned, and you will too, she is absolutely amazing, she said "So, tell me more about your cards." 

Melanie loved the idea of me donating cards, and after a phone conversation in which I gave her more details about my donations, she went about pitching the idea to the editors. 

Well, then school started, and then it was Halloween, then it was the elections; there always was something to put on the news that took priority.  And that's fine with me. I know how it works, there is always news to report.  What I didn't know is that I had a cheerleader who had my back.  Someone who absolutely and whole heartedly believed in the story.  And in me.  I had Melanie. 

Melanie sent me a note this week and said that they were going to do a story about COVID, the holidays and the hardships it brings and that the editors okayed 'the card story'. 

I immediately started a diet, I had 15 pounds to lose in 2 days, and then I cleaned my studio.  Ahhh, the studio.  I am right in the middle of making cloth bags for gifts and the studio was a mess.  Not a little mess.  It was a BIG mess.  That's how it is when I am working on a project; I do lots of them at once and whatever I am working on takes over every surface and corner.  Sooo, I cleaned and packed away the fabric, the patterns, the ironing board and the sewing machine.  It was hard work as was evident from the .004 pounds I surly lost.

Next came out the card making supplies and samples. I had the cards that are going to Spartanburg Regional Hospital and I stamped a few to work on while they were filming. That wasn't a big weigh loss, only .00001 pounds or so.  It probably would have been more if I didn't eat 8 mini Mr. Goodbars during the process.  However, now that I think about it.....well, I don't want to think about it. 

Melanie sent me a note and said that her and the camera man, Kevin, will be at the house at 4:30 pm on Wednesday.  Great!  We'll be here.  Oh, but please excuse the mess.  Bill was tiling the kitchen backsplash and my stove was in my living room. 

So they arrived and Missy was off the walls. Two people! Two people in her house!  Two people in her house to rub her belly and scratch her ears!  She couldn't contain herself.  Missy just loves people, and luckily, because she really is a sweet dog, people love Missy. So, after about twenty minutes of loving on Missy, we went into my studio to do the story. 

Melanie and Kevin were awesome!  They asked great questions and were so involved in this whole card making and donating mission of mine. Missy came in often for some Melanie lovin'.  I do believe that Missy thought they were there just to see her.  

After about three hours they started to pack up their things to go.  But wait, I had gifts to give.  I had a box of handmade items to give Melanie and told her to pick out a bag to put them all in.  And as further proof of her fabulousness, she picked a dog bag!  See I told you!  I gathered about 50 cards to give to Kevin to bring home to his wife, but wait, I needed to give him a bag to put them in. He picked out a bag that he thought his wife would like, although he admitted that it may be used as a diaper bag if that was okay.  I reassured him that it would be just fine.  And they are washable, so it's all good.  

Hugs, and belly rubs all around and they left.  Missy and I watched them leave from the door.  You do that when you hate to see friends leave, but know that they must.  

Here is the video and article that was featured on WSPA Channel 7.  Thanks for watching.  And extra thanks if you notice how completely waif-like I appear.  








8 comments:

  1. I love your story. So special.❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate you reading and encouragement!

      Delete
  2. This is so awesome. Janet I have been the recipient of your cards but never realized the magnitude of this wonderful ministry. Thank you for sharing and thank you for making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy! I appreciate you reading and for the encouragement. ❤️

      Delete
  3. Janet, I feel so blessed because I have received these cards. You gave them to me when my mom passed and that really meant a lot to me. I was able to do thank cards as soon as someone dropped something off and mail them all at one time. You are such a gem. I love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tibb, thank you so much for your encouragement and support. I appreciate you and your friendship. 🙏❤️

      Delete
  4. this story is such a needed one at such a stressful time in everyone's life. I will forever be grateful for ALL the wonderful cards you have made and shared with me!! the butterfly ones are the most special but all of them are so beautiful!!You have soooo much God given talent and I know you please Him by all you do to encourage others!!! Love you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Renee. I appreciate you and treasure you. 🙏❤️

      Delete