Monday, January 31, 2022

My Cup


I was, I am, a "people pleaser".  The difference between the people pleasing Janet then, and the people pleasing Janet now, is that it no longer defines me. 

It took a lot of reflection, prayer and resolve for me to understand that my self-worth is not based on how my offering was received. I am no longer a "people pleaser", my intent now is to please people. The rearrangement of these two words made a big difference. 

I am, and always have been, a nurturer. I give and do things for others because it brings me tremendous joy and satisfaction to do so. Unfortunately, there were times that I allowed the acceptance, or appreciation, of my gestures and actions to dictate how I felt as a person. It was unfair and wrong of me to place this silent obligation on the receiver. A gift is a gift and not something that should ever have strings attached to it, seen or unseen.

For most of my early adult life, I held out my cup and asked others to fill my cup. I know now, what I wished I learned earlier, is that the cup is mine to fill. 



14 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts. I can learn from them. Thank you! ❤❤😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ Thank you Sharon! Appreciate you reading and always appreciate your encouragement. 😊

      Delete
  2. that is pretty profound!!! love when you give out such wisdom!!! God bless you as you bless others!!!! you are a natural born giver and you spread so much love and joy to everyone you meet!!! Keep being YOU!!!!! Love you sweet lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ Thank you so much Renee! I appreciate your kind words. You are very special and I treasure you. 🙏😊

      Delete
  3. Janet,
    You have filled my cup with so much joy. The cards you gave to me are now used to correspond with my 7 year old "great" grandson, Andrew, in Michigan. It is so delightful to write and receive letters from him.
    Thank you, Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this Rosie! And I love that you and Andrew are writing to each other! I have some 'children' cards I will bring to you! 😊. Thank you for reading and writing! ❤️

      Delete
  4. hmmmmmm, a lot of food for thought....love you forever,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the many life lessons my parents had taught their six children was never to assume that because you give love it will be appreciated by all.There're some who feels an entitlement of what ever you do for them. Janet you are truly a blessing and has a beautiful soul love you smooches ❤️ Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ thank you Jennifer. All the lessons we learn along the way. 🙏. Always appreciate you reading! 😊

      Delete
  6. Jan:
    Our cups runneth over from all that you've given over the years. Here's a toast to filling up yours!!
    Love, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️ thank you Billy. Appreciate you.

      Delete
  7. This could have not come at a better time in my life. Reflections of words that dance around in my head! 😔. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😔 I hate to hear your struggles Serena. Please stay strong. Gentle hugs and prayers 🙏❤️

      Delete