Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Not Broken

In the morning on Tuesday February 22nd, I fainted while getting blood work. I fainted and then had a seizure that lasted about 4 minutes. I started out seizing in the chair and then was helped to the floor by the phlebotomist. During those four minutes, either while I was in the chair, or on the floor, I fractured 3 vertebrae in my back - T7, T8 & T9. 

Before I fainted, I remember telling the young gal that it was starting to hurt (she was in a second attempt to draw blood) and I remember her telling me that I was getting pale. Then, I came to on the floor vomiting (thank goodness it was a fasting draw so I was retching nothing but water) with a room full of people. I heard bits of conversations; fainted, seizure, her husband.. And then I heard my Doctor's voice, as she bent down to me. 

I've been a patient of Dr Spinks for about 7 years. She is one of those Doctors that truly listen to you when you talk, who will take the time to answer all your questions thoroughly and will call you after hours with lab results. Good Doctors will do this. And I cried when I saw her. They got my phone and called Bill to tell him what happened and instructed him to go to the emergency room. I was taken from the lab via ambulance to the emergency room.  

What followed was a week of excruciating pain. I couldn't talk, sit or stand - I could do little more than lay in bed on heavy pain pills. Because of my sensitivity to medication, I could not tolerate a full-strength pain pill, so the pill was halved, and I took it every three hours - round the clock. During the night, Bill set his alarm and woke me up every three hours to give me my medication. I don't remember much of the first 6 days other than my heart was full of gratitude for this man I married. 

Bill created lists to keep track of my medications, kept my moist heat pad heated (it was one of the only things that helped the pain), helped me in and out of bed, made sure I ate and kept the house going. He took Missy for her walks and kept up on her quota of belly rubs and took her to the vet. He didn't leave the house but two times in 6 days - for food and my medication. I truly and sincerely do not where I would have been if I didn't have Bill. This doesn't surprise me, I've spent 25+ years with him, I know what kind of man he is. 

As I've shared, Missy is not a snuggly kind of dog. Without a doubt, Missy is a very loving and sweet dog, she does not snuggle but I know she loves me. Every time I woke up, Missy was laying in the bedroom at the foot of the bed, taking care of me in the best way that she knows how, by her presence. When I was able to move to the couch, she slept on the floor near the couch. If I stirred, she lifted her head to check on me and when I got up, she followed me. 

Ten days after my injury I was able to sit upright for 5 minutes at a time and that is how I worked on this blog, five minutes at a time. I wanted to get this done because there are so many people that I need to thank, so many people that I need to express my gratitude to. Family, friends and neighbors, so many people called, sent texts, cards, flowers and food. 

They came to my house to drop off flowers and food. They sent texts knowing that I was not strong enough to answer them and called knowing that I couldn't talk and yet they still reached out to me. To let me know that they were with me. That they are praying for me.  

When the pain has me crying for relief, when I am praying for the pain medication to kick in and for some rest, I find comfort, peace and safety in their words and actions like a quilt that I pull up around me.

I am two weeks out from my injury and two weeks from a scheduled surgery (kyphoslasty) to fix the fractures. There have been small victories to be celebrated and there have been setbacks which we don't dwell on. We move forward with grateful hearts.


12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry.

    In March 2020 I crashed onto my kitchen floor and sustained an injury akin to a parachuting or motorcycle accident. I have recovered 80% with an arm rebuilt with metal and screws. I am also blessed with a husband like yours. It is life changing. I wish you an easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry for your pain and ordeal. Thank you for reading and sharing your story and for your kind words. ❤️

      Delete
  2. Janet, I am so sorry to here this about you. I am praying for God to give you extra strength to get through your injuries and to comfort you during you next blood/lab work. You do have an awesome husband, and he definitely demonstrated this by giving you wonderful care during your illness/accident. I am praying for your upcoming surgery to be a success and for you to have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, My Dear Janet! I am so very sorry to hear this! You are an amazing woman and I am sure that you will use your strength and fortitude to get past this injury. Bill sounds like a truly wonderful man and you are blessed to have each other. I am sending you prayers and positive vibes. Please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything at all I can do to help you and Bill. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending prayers for you, Bill and Missy. Positive thoughts for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always in my thoughts whether sick or well. As I mentioned to you....when a mother's child hurts so does that mother's heart. I've spent time with you and Bill so I know what kind of man Bill is and I trust him to take care of you....24/7....which he does.! Continue getting stronger....love you forever, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, sending love n' light to you!! I'm so sad to hear this happened to you!! I'm so glad you have Bill now Missy to help n' comfort you! 💞💝💝 You're in my thoughts n' prayers 🙏

    ReplyDelete