Friday, August 20, 2021

Things I Keep - Cards

I've been spending the week cleaning out my studio.  Normally when I clean out my studio, I am cleaning out my crafting supplies.  However, this time, I am cleaning out my stuff.  I have lots of stuff. 

In earlier blog posts, I've shared that I have many sketchbooks filled with cards. articles and pictures that I want to keep.  In my studio closet I have a tub where I put the things that will eventually go into my sketchbooks. I've been adding items to the tub for the past five or six years - since we moved here - and it was finally time to tackle the tub. I used to do a better job of staying on top of this task, but now, it all just seems to get away from me and it doesn't get done.    


In my closet I also have two boxes of cards. If you have sent me a card or note in the past 25 plus years, chances are it's in one of these two boxes. I also used to do a better job of putting cards into my sketchbooks, but, well, that's slipped as well. 

     

First up - the tub. I've been going through and reading each item to see if it is really something I want to keep.  Sometimes the articles and pictures I saved were relevant for that period of time but not something that is relevant now. Those situations are easy, I don't need to save it, so I throw it away.  It's the boxes of cards that I am having a hard time with. Personal things are very, very difficult for me to part with. I want to keep them all.  

As I've gotten older, I find myself thinking about my stuff and what will become of it all after I have gone. I have no children and chances are pretty slim that anyone in my family will want any of this. And really, why should they? They have their own memories and 'stuff' and I certainly don't expect them to take on mine.  
 
There were several times during this past week when I felt overwhelmed with the volume, and I thought "Why bother?"  When the day comes and someone is going through my things, in all likelihood, it will all get thrown away anyway. It made me question and rethink what I was doing.  It made me wonder whether this project was worth my time and my energy. And then I realized that it was worth it.  And it was worth it because of the joy it brought me. Deep down I realized that I was feeling joy. 

As I went through and read each card and note, I was able to recall the love I felt when I initially received the card all those years ago.  I was able to reconnect and remember people that have passed away, that I not longer work with or live near, and in some cases, people that I had somehow completely forgotten about as well. To be able to again feel this love and joy was very rewarding for me. 

Yesterday, I finished going through the tub and boxes of cards and began the next phase of putting the items into the sketchbooks.  When I'm done, I'll put them away upstairs - with the others. Will these things mean anything to anyone else? Most likely not, but they are one of my greatest treasures and I think they are definitely worth it. 





6 comments:

  1. Yes ma'am, they are definitely worth it. Coming from someone who does crafts, it's our happy place. So when God calls us home, it may not be important to them, but it WILL make whomever smile/happy going through things that made us happy. My mom had cards and things she treasured, even though I threw them away, it definitely blessed my heart to see cards I'd given her. Like you Ms. Janet, my heart goes into each card, scrapbook, and bejeweled picture frame. That my friend is my happy place as well. Tibb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! I always appreciate you reading and sharing Tibb. I treasure you too!

      Delete
  2. Oh Janet, I have that same "problem"! knowing that those cards and letters mean nothing to anyone but me!! But like yourself, they are such treasures to me!! sometimes when I am down and having my own "pity party" I get some out and reread them and how they give me a pick me up! I can feel the Lord telling me "See how blessed you are because of the loving caring folks I have put in your life?" Thank you for this sweet reminder this morning!!!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee I ❤️ this! Well, except for the 'pity party' part, but love that you turned it around to a 'I am blessed' party. As I was going through my cards I found at least a dozen from you and many from your family. Thank you for reading as for sharing. You are a treasure. 🙏☺️❤️

      Delete
  3. Hi Janet, your post made me think of a portion of scripture in the book of Malachi, chapter 3 verses 16 and 17:
    “Then those who feared the Lord spoke with one another. The Lord paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the Lord and esteemed his name. “They shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his son who serves him.”
    ‭‭If God makes a book of remembrance, and calls his children a treasured possession, I think it’s okay to collect things that you treasure and that bring you joy!!
    Thanks for sharing❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda 🙏. I always appreciate your encouragement and friendship. ❤️☺️

      Delete