Tuesday, May 11, 2021

"Looking for a new Notebook and not Settling"

As I've shared with you all, I have a lot of different notebooks. Lots of different kinds of notebooks and they all have a specific purpose.  

First, I have large scrapbooks. 
This is where I put the cards, drawings 
and articles I've liked and want to keep. 1  


Then there are the notebooks 
that I put quotes and small 
cartoons in. 2

I have a notebook that I use to 
write down blog ideas and 
thoughts in.


The notebook that I keep in my pocketbook to write down things that I want to remember while I am out and about.

The notebook I keep in the car to write down things that I don't want to forget while I am driving.

There is the notebook that I keep in the studio and a notebook that I keep by the TV to write down things that I hear. 

        

I keep a notebook by the side of the bed to write down meaningful things that I've read, things that I remembered and don't want to forget, and sometimes I write down snippets of dreams that I remember when I wake up. 

There is the notebook that I keep on the kitchen table next to me to write down things I want to look up or that I need to do on the computer.

And then there are the notebooks I have that I use for specific topics. These are for things like Christian quotes, Introvert topics and Hospice stories....

So, you get the idea, I have a lot of notebooks!  And surprisingly, I needed yet another notebook!  

I knew exactly what kind of notebook I was looking for;  I wanted this notebook to lay flat when open, not be spiral, be legal-lined, not be too big, and not be too thick or too thin. And, it had to have a cover that I liked. I knew exactly what I wanted and I headed out to the stores to find it. 

First, I went to the Office Max, TJ Maxx and Barnes & Noble near us.  While they had plenty of stock to choose from, there was nothing that was exactly what I wanted. B&N had one that met the first five requirements, and I almost bought it, but I wasn't crazy about the cover, so I didn't. I headed home. 

As I was driving home, I was thinking about this - it's just a notebook.  Really, why is it such a big deal? But I realized, it is not just a notebook, it is a desire to not settle.  

I have spent the first part of my life often settling for things and situations that weren't exactly what I wanted.  I settled, and more times than not, I ended up disappointed.  At this stage in my life, I no longer settle.  If I know what I want and I have certain criteria that I want to fulfill, I know that I will be disappointed with anything less. This can be difficult when I am looking for the perfect notebook or product and it has proven to be difficult in other areas of my life as well.  

I have never been a lazy person and I do not do anything half-way. Nothing. If I commit to something, I am all in.  I have never been one to believe in doing something just to get it done and over with. That has always been a true constant in my life, but sometimes I have settled just to keep the peace. 

It is only recently that I recognized the difference between settling and my displeasure with the end result. And I am determined to no longer settle.  Whether it is helping out a shop owner at their business, serving as a volunteer in our neighborhood or purchasing a product, I will not do or buy something just to get it done.  While this has not always been easy, especially when I am pressured to get something done fast, it is something that I will continue to apply in my life. In the long run, no matter how difficult it was at the time, not settling has always been the right thing for me to do. 

I eventually found the notebook I wanted and it did meet all the criteria I was looking for, but I had to visit a lot of stores to find it.  I could have settled and bought the notebook I saw at the B&N, and I won't lie, after the 7th or 8th store, I almost went back to buy it.  But I knew that if I did buy it, every time I saw the cover and used the notebook I would have known that I settled and I wouldn't be pleased with it or with myself. 

Whether I am looking for the perfect item or performing a task, I know that settling or doing something halfway will only make me unhappy, disappointed and not feeling proud of myself.  And at this stage in my life, I am not willing to settle for any one of those end results. 

1. I have been keeping these for over 20 years and I have 7 of these. 
2. I've been keeping these for over 30 years and currently have more than 11 of these. 


6 comments:

  1. Goodmorning Janet I enjoy reading πŸ“šthis have a blessed day πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ˜ŠπŸ™❤️. Thank you for reading and for your encouragement!

      Delete
  2. That's exactly how I feel. My house is not complete for that reason. I know what I want and I won't buy just anything to fill it. Whether young or old. No one should just settle. I agree with you. I want to be known for doing everything in excellence and right, not for just getting it done. Again, Janet, well written. Tibb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tibb! Your home and style reflects your values and good taste! 😊. Always appreciate you reading and sharing ❤️πŸ™

      Delete
  3. "settling" is something I've had to do most of my life in regard to "situations"...Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ˜₯ I hate to read this but I know what you are referring to. ❤️ Love you lots and lots

      Delete