Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Encounter on a Monday

On Monday afternoons, the library I go to brings in adults from a group home nearby.  Today on my way out, I stopped in the ladies room. At the sink there was a woman who was standing and staring at herself in the mirror. I think that she was in her early 70's, and her disability was not one that was visible to me. 

She didn't move or stop when I came in, but our eyes met in the mirror. I told her she looked lovely, and she did, she was very pretty in purple. She didn't say a word and her eyes never left mine in the mirror, but she smiled one of the the biggest smiles that I have ever seen.

I've found myself thinking about her all day. I wonder what she was thinking as she looked at herself in the mirror. It wasn't sadness that I read in her eyes, but when I think of her now, I feel a sadness for her and it makes my heart ache. I do know that I'm going to look for her next week and see if I can make her smile again.


13 comments:

  1. Let me know if you see her again

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s the seeming small things that turn into monumental moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right Toni 🙏❤️☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. She probably thought that was the nicest thing anyone has said to her in a long while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. You are one of the most beautiful and kindnest person ever. So happy that I can call you my friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your kind post. I'm sorry that I don't know who this is though. I'm embarrassed 🙁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nannysixpack = Carol Mueller

    ReplyDelete
  8. ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I had a inkling it was you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete