Sunday, August 30, 2020

Dinner with the Fox's

We had dinner last night with our good friends, Pam and Tom Fox.  Tom works with Bill at Enterprise.  Although Bill sees Tom almost every week, it's rare that the four of us get together.  

Tom and Pam have a new home on 7 acres of land.  The last time we were there, the home was still in the process of being built.  It was almost done, but it would be another week or two before they moved in.  

Last night we saw the home finished and decorated, and it's beautiful.  We sat in the great room, drank wine and got caught up.  At one point I looked over at Bill and Tom talking.  Tom said something and Bill gave a big laugh. A big, throw-his-head-back-laugh and I thought how much I love this man!  And how happy I am that he has found such a good friend like Tom.  

It's always been easier for me to make friends and I worried that when we moved to South Carolina, it would be difficult for Bill.  Apparently, I didn't need to worry!  Bill is retired and works part-time at Enterprise.  This allows him to work a few days a week and hang out with guys who are just like him, and he gets to drive.  He literally gets to drive for work.  And this is a man who LOVES to drive.  

On work days, he lets me know where they are off to for the day; sometimes they go to Charleston, sometimes Atlanta and sometimes it's Savannah. He really likes when he gets the long trips. When I ask him who he's with that day and he tells me "Tom", I know it's going to be a good day for him.  For them both.  Those two knuckleheads will talk, laugh and play pranks on each other all day.  I imagine that there will be a lot of 'throw-his-head-back' laughs that day!

Tom prepared a fabulous dinner, especially for me I'm told, and it was heavenly.  Pam told me that he spent the whole day chopping, cutting and preparing all the ingredients for the Shrimp Spaghetti dinner, Roma bread and Ratatouille. Pam set the table and paid attention to the smallest little detail.  It was an tremendous amount of work and time extended into making us feel welcome.  

As we sat around the table afterwards drinking coffee, eating cookies and cake, I realized how comfortable and awesome our life had become.  How extremely blessed we are to have friends like Pam and Tom in our lives.  Moving more than 800 miles away from family and friends has not always been easy, but we have created a good and happy life here.  

As we got ready to leave, Pam and Tom walking us out to our car, the moon was almost full, the evening air was a bit cooler and the sky was full of stars.  We said "good-bye" and "thank you" and got in our car.  I got into the passenger seat; my belly full of good food, my heart full of grateful love and I slipped into a peaceful and content sleep.  




No comments:

Post a Comment