Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Compassion, Love and Senior Dogs

I was at Inman Animal Hospital yesterday morning with Missy.  As often the case early in the morning, their parking lot was full and they were very busy.  

When I went to check in, there was a young gal at the front entrance with a small dog on a leash. The dog was pacing and sniffing but didn't look threatening so I stopped and asked her if I could pet her dog.  She said 'yes'. I asked what her name was and she said "I don't know. My mom and I found her last night. She's blind". Tears filled my eyes. This poor dog, lost and blind, bless her heart. And God bless this mother and daughter for taking her in.  

As I was checking in Missy, one of the office girls said to the Tech, "We are ready for the Euthanasia now. My heart sank. As I walked out, I saw an older gentleman carrying a hound wrapped in a blanket. The dog was on his back and this big man just cradled him in his arms. I looked at the man's face and he was crying, his face full of sorrow and pain. This was their next patient.  

I got to my car and I cried. I cried deep and I prayed hard. I cried because my heart was just so heavy with what I witnessed. And I prayed because we serve a good Lord and He hears our prayers. I prayed for strength for both of these families, comfort for both of these dogs, and wisdom and guidance for all the workers inside that building. 

I've recently started reading books about the care of Senior Dogs (our Missy turned 10 this year) and started following some groups on Instagram (#seniordogsofinstagram, #seniordogsrule, #seniordogs). I find myself being drawn to the sweet 'frosty faces' and 'grey muzzle' of older dogs and I enjoy seeing their pictures in my feed.  

Unfortunately, along with the pictures sometimes there are some heartbreaking stories as well. After one particularly hard day of sadness, I thought, I cannot do this. I am simply not strong enough to endure this emotional pain and I was going to 'unfollow' these groups. My heart breaks with every story about an abandoned senior pet, or a senior pet that has crossed over the rainbow bridge. So many stories and pictures that are just so incredibly sad and touching, and I think that I just can't bear this much pain. 

And then I read about the people who adopt these senior dogs. I've learned about people and organizations who take in senior dogs and allow them to live their last few years surrounded by love. I read about people who refuse to give up on a dog simply because he is old. And I witness firsthand the family that finds a lost blind dog and take her to the vet to get help. I see a man who provides the final act of love and compassion to his treasured family member. And this is what I choose to focus on. 

I know that I will continue to cry and have my heart broken by stories of suffering and loss. But I will continue to focus on the stories of hope and new starts. I will choose to be uplifted and reassured that there are good and kind people in this world. And I will continue to look for and focus on finding them. 

I truly believe, and I know in my heart, that there are more people who are filled with compassion and love and goodness than there are people who are cruel and unkind.  And goodness and love will always win.  


14 comments:

  1. Thank you Janet- this post put tears in my eyes-it was so heartfelt. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading this Rose. I appreciate you and your encouragement. 🙏❤️☺️

      Delete
  2. This post really hit home. Still crying and missing our sweet girl we said goodbye to in May. I recall comforting the vet tech at the emergency hospital that night as she was crying with us. It must be tough to do this , perhaps every day, but it truly is an act of love. Enjoy Missy for as long as God allows. Hope you have pleasant, chilly holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cynthia, I am so sorry. I remember seeing pictures when I was on Facebook. 😥. So extremely hard and I am so sorry for your pain. 🙏❤️

      Delete
  3. Lord, knows I'm missing my Ike. He was so old and frail, but oh how I love him. I was just complaining because I had to hold him while I vacuumed. Now, I'd give anything for him to be in my arms again. Thanks Janet. Again, well written. Tibb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey, I am so sorry for your loss of Ike. I know how much you loved him. You shared great stories about him and it is easy to see why he was adored. Gentle hugs sweet Tibb. ❤️🙏

      Delete
  4. Till death do us part. ❤ Lisa D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️❤️🙏. Yes ma'am.
      Thank you for reading sweet Lisa. Always appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Hospice for the sick and elderly fur-babies. Like humans they also deserve that much needed care during their last days on this earth. Love you forever, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️❤️❤️ I hope that I am strong enough to one day do what these people are doing. I am just so drawn to their goodness and hearts. 🙏❤️

      Delete
  6. Janet this is such a heart felt blog, when I read about the fur babies crossing over it hurts because I experienced this years ago and I never got another, it hurts so bad. Jennifer 😞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😥 thank you for reading Jennifer and writing. It is so extremely hard 🙏

      Delete
  7. i too have been where the older gentleman was...so very heartbreaking. my father-in-law is close to 93 and his faithful friend is over 18. she is his ears and constant source of companionship. I dread the day when one or the other is gone. It is one of those stories of tender love. So thankful God gives us our fur babies to brighten our hearts and lives. Thank you, Janet, for this sweet, caring blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eighteen years. Bless 🙏. Thank you for always reading and for encouraging me Renee. ❤️

    ReplyDelete