Monday, November 8, 2021

Nesting

We turned the clocks back an hour this past Sunday. The gain and loss of the hour means little to me - what I am most excited about is the change in season! 
 I am a cold-weather gal through and through. I love the crisp air and I love being in the house all warm and cozy in my layers with at least 14 candles burning at once1

Turning the clock means that it's going to get dark earlier and I LOVE that too! I have a strong nesting instinct and the colder, darker weather draws me in tight and cozy. I do believe, if it were feasibly possible, I would be content to never leave my house again2.


Just inside my front door I have a wire basket filled with vintage wind-up clocks. I love their simplistic design and function.  Nothing fancy about them, just the basics to do the job. 

In addition to their visual appeal, I am comforted by the memories they provide me.  I am also soothed by the repetitive sound they make. When we were younger, we often slept over at our Vo-Vo and Feety's house3. They had a wind-up clock on the mantel and the sound of a vintage clock always takes me back to that time of being taken care of.

I am out with Missy around 5am every morning. I love that first hit of cold air this time of year. The first thing I do when I step outside, no matter the season, is look up. I look up at all the stars and think about the vastness of the sky. As I look up, I also take in the beauty and the glory of it all. I feel renewed and deeply blessed to be able to be here now as a new day begins. 

I know that they say that you only live once, but my thoughts are that you only die once - you live every day. And I never want to lose the grateful heart for as long as I have a new day. 

1. As opposed to 9 candles burning all the other times
2. At least from November through February
3. It's what we called my mom's parents







14 comments:

  1. I too love this time....I truly missed that hour! That clock is also in my memories...it chimed every 1/4 hour. I loved it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts....and as always, love you forever. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one....but I hate standard time! Best--tj

    ReplyDelete
  3. ☺️. Thanks for reading TJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe. This is sooo sweet. I love the names you had for your grandparents; too cute. As always, well written. Tibb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️. Thank you Tibb! Always appreciate you reading! ☺️

      Delete
  5. Wait, so you love the cold but you moved south from CT? I Love the "only die once, live everyday" adage!! -Your future neighbor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Billy! 😊
      I know right! Ha! Bill wants to move further South still, but I can't do it.

      Delete
  6. Always gets me thinking. Love your take on life. Inspiring. We love candles too. Hope all is well❣ Lisa D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️☺️. Thank you Lisa! Appreciate your reading and writing.

      Delete
  7. Janet, I adore clocks-too! I love this-you don't have time in a bottle-you have it in a basket!! My grandparents
    had a chime clock, their bay window to look at the sea, bird feeders, their tea parties, and music room-kept me sane during a chaotic childhood. Thank you, for this beautiful reminder~ Your writing is heart felt....you should write a book of these lovely offerings! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️. Thank you Ella for reading and sharing your memories too. I so appreciate your kindness and support ☺️🙏❤️

      Delete