Saturday, February 15, 2014

"A Chance Encounter"


I went to the library this morning, as I usually do every few days. I love it there—not just for the books, but for the whole atmosphere. As I was leaving, I noticed a woman sitting in the sunroom by the entrance. It’s a beautiful day here in South Carolina, though the wind makes it feel colder despite the sunshine. The sunroom seemed like the perfect spot to be. 
It’s not unusual to see homeless people at the library, and I take comfort in knowing it’s a safe place for them to gather. This woman wore dirty clothes and had a large canvas bag at her feet. As I got closer, I noticed she held a small hand mirror, carefully applying lipstick. My heart melted. I don’t know anything about her, but in that moment, I saw her pride. There may be many things she can’t control, but she was doing what she could, and I felt that deeply.

I’ve been thinking about this woman all morning, about that fleeting moment when our eyes met and the feeling that passed between us. Meeting her in the library made me realize I should pay more attention to the little things in life.  Sometimes I get caught up in the big things that I need to fix, when sometimes, fixing a little thing is good enough.  


4 comments:

  1. ...and THAT...sweet friend...is one of the reasons why I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We often take things for granted... some small ... some large. You are very observant and have a big heart. Stay that way. Renee :)

    ReplyDelete